Warning: Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power: Engine is operating at reduced output

2012 Mini cooper standard, 52K Miles that is showing the following error: "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power: Engine is operating at reduced output"

Can you help me understand what the possible issues are?

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

This is a sign of your car’s automatic fail safe mode. When your car’s computer detects that something has gone wrong in one of it’s major systems, it will send the car into what is known as a "limp mode" or "safe mode" which dramatically reduces power to the engine to a minimal amount, just to get you where you need to go. When this happens, the car will be inoperable for the most part and will need to be looked at by a qualified mechanic such as one from YourMechanic. I would recommend having one of our experts come to your location to take a look at the car and make a proper diagnosis.