Q: I used 5w-30 oil instead of ow-20 in my 2013 Nissan Altima. Is my engine in trouble?

asked by on November 14, 2017

I used 5w-30 oil instead of ow-20 in my 2013 Nissan Altima. Is my engine in trouble?

Hi Christopher. Thanks for sending in your question today. Although using the recommended oil is always best, you should be fine if you added a quart of 5w30 to your Altima. I would recommend having the oil and filter changed a bit earlier than you usually do to be on the safe side - especially if you live in a cold weather area, as thicker engine oil can cause hard starts and lubrication issues.