Q: Fuel gauge bounces around, usually when it is on full

asked by on October 26, 2016

My gas gauge moves around, usually on full and then bounces to empty. My truck is a 1998 Chevy C 2500

More often than not, this issue is caused by a faulty fuel gauge sender. However, it can also be caused by issues with the EVAP canister or other EVAP components. The EVAP system is designed to filter out harmful toxins from fuel and to release pressure inside the fuel cell.

When the EVAP canister or solenoid goes bad, it can cause the fuel cell to build up excessive pressure which can negatively impact the operation of the gas gauge. The best way to determine exactly what’s wrong is to have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection and replace the fuel gauge sender if this is the part that has failed.