Q: tick in motor while idling and going above 3rd gear. its a 06mazda5 manual trans whats the issue

asked by on July 12, 2017

There is a tick in the top of motor when you start up and it idles. When you drive it in 1,2 and 3rd gears you don't hear it but then when you shift above 3rd gear it returns again. What is my issue and is it worth it to fix.

It is possible that this issue only happens at certain RPMs. I would suspect that the ticking sound is either coming from the engines valvetrain or something loose near the clutch area causing a rattle of sorts. I would not bother fixing this issue unless it becomes a bigger problem simply because it will likely require removal of the engine or transmission to even give it a thorough inspection.