Q: How do you install the spare tire?

How do you install the spare tire?

A: Hopefully, you never have to deal with bein...

Hopefully, you never have to deal with being stuck on the side of the road with a flat, but if you do, it’s vital that you know what to do to get the spare tire on. Here’s a brief crash course:

1. Pull over somewhere safe (and level).

2. Put the car in park.

3. Turn on your hazard lights.

4. All passengers should get out of the car.

5. Chock the wheel diagonal from the flat tire.

6. Get the spare tire, jack and tools out of the trunk (they’re located under the false floor/cover in the spare well).

7. Put the jack under the car either behind or just in front of the flat tire (depending on which tire is flat). Make sure to position it under the lift point on the car’s body.

8. Raise the jack slightly, but don’t lift the car off the ground.

9. Use the lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts but don’t remove them.

10. Raise the car with the jack.

11. Remove the lug nuts.

12. Remove the flat tire.

13. Install the spare tire.

14. Hand tighten the lug nuts.

15. Lower the car with the jack.

16. Tighten the lug nuts with the wrench.

17. Put the flat tire, jack and tools back in the trunk.

Tips

• Have the flat tire repaired or replaced immediately.

• The TPMS light will come on in the car. This is normal. It will go off after you have the regular wheel installed again.