Q: Changing the rims and tires. Will I also have to replace the brakes to match?

I have the standard 17" wheels. I am an outdoor enthusiast and driving on dirt roads is typical on the weekends (nothing too crazy). I have noticed that my car in general doesn't do well on paved streets let alone dirt roads. I feel absolutely every bump. If I were to changed out the rims for a smaller size say 15" would this potentially allow for smoother driving? And I can't get a definitive answer as to whether I would have to also change the brakes in order to match the new rims. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Changing to a higher aspect ratio tire, for example in your case moving from 205/50 R17 to 195/65 R15, will improve ride comfort due to the greater sidewall height. The brake rotor diameter, and the brake rotor part number, is identical for all wheel sizes on this vehicle simply because brake design depends mainly on vehicle weight and not wheel diameter. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you. And, please keep YourMechanic in mind for your future vehicle repair, diagnostics, and maintenance needs.