Cylinder heads engine swap head gaskets l4-2.2l chevrolet...

Q: Cylinder heads

asked by on March 06, 2017

Okay my carson cylinder heads are messed up . What is better fixing it or getting a new engine because opening an engine will cause a lot of trouble later on in the future . I could remanufactre the part but I would still have to open up the engine .or buy a new car and selling that car with the cylinder heads messed up. So what it is better?

If you only need a complete, re-manufactured cylinder head, that will be more economical than replacing the entire engine. On your car, replacing the cylinder head is 1/6th the cost of replacing the entire engine. There is one caveat though which is the engine block has to be "flat" (within around .001 inches but the Shop Manual will have the exact value) in order that there not be leaks at the head gasket when you install a new cylinder head. If the block is not flat within the factory specification, the block has to be machined. So, don’t buy a new cylinder head until you disassemble everything and measure the block. If you are interested in cylinder head or engine replacement, YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.