Q: 2007 Buick LaCrosse, startup noises

asked by on July 18, 2017

When I start the car it's makes this clunck noise after I turn the key to start. No issues with starting just that bizarre noise. The engine revs a little then goes normal which I think is ok. I had a friend listen to it and said that's just how old GM cars sound when they start up. Should I be concerned?

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $96.60 - $301.27 Get a Quote
Power Steering Pump Replacement $158.61 - $1677.09 Get a Quote

There are a number of things that could make an engine noisy when starting up. Depending on the specific type of sound you are referring to, this will determine how to properly diagnose. If there is a bit of a hissing sound, this may be a sign of a vacuum leak. If this is more of a shrieking sound, this may be a sign of a worn out or out of adjustment serpentine belt. If there is a bit of a howling or growling sound, this may be a sign of a worn out or low on fluid power steering pump. A rattling or pinging sound may be caused by an ignition problem. An engine can ping (or knock) due to an improper combustion process. A "spark knock" is the result of combustion occurring too early. Early combustion can occur from carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber, a lean air/fuel mixture, and advanced ignition timing (spark plug firing too soon). A clattering type sound may be a result of improper lubrication in the valve train which could be a more serious problem and should be addressed as soon as possible. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to ensure everything is in proper working order.