Both headlights went out (not at the same time) for 2013 ...

Q: Both headlights went out (not at the same time) for 2013 Cadillac ATS. Checked fuses looked ok. Could both halogens go out at arou

asked by on March 11, 2017

Both headlights went out around the same time - close but not the same exact time. Checked fuses. Looked ok. Can halogens go out this soon?

If the bulbs are both the same age, it would not be exceptional for them to fail at around the same time. A standard halogen headlight bulb could operate as long as 1,000 hours or so. A long life bulb might be double that or more. So, if you drive 3 hours every day at night (or use the headlights for 3 hours during the day, every day), the bulbs could burn out after only 1 year. Higher operating voltage reduces bulb life. If you believe your bulbs are failing prematurely you might measure the supply voltage to see if it is too high. If you want the bulbs replaced, and the system voltage tested, all performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request headlight bulb/circuit inspection and replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.