Q: Can I test the starter without removing it?

Car no start battery charged and cranking. It's HOPEFULLY starter. In back of my mind I know the Cat Convert won't pass CARB inspection. Would a bad CAT prevent starting? I've had no smoke, or rattle problems with CAT CONV.

Hi there. If your engine is cranking over, then the starter is working. For the engine not starting when cranking, there are multiple reasons for an engine not to start up. Check the three main elements that make an engine start.

• Air
  • Fuel
  • Spark

If your engine has air, fuel, and spark, then there could be an issue with the exhaust system. The catalytic converter, resonating chamber, or muffler could be plugged up preventing the engine from exhausting its pressures. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your no start situation.

3. Can I test the starter without removing it?