Q: What does the hill-start assist control system do?

What does the hill-start assist control system do?

A: The hill-start control system is designed t...

The hill-start control system is designed to help keep you from rolling backward when you stop and then start again on a hill, or you’re driving in slippery conditions on a slope. Anyone who’s ever felt their stomach lurch as the car started to roll backward after stopping on a hill can appreciate this assistance. Here’s how the system works:

• You have to have the transmission in gear (anything other than park).

• The parking brake can’t be on.

• You can’t be pressing the gas pedal.

• If the system detects that you’re stopped on a hill, the brake pedal will automatically stay engaged when you take your foot off it. Your brake lights will stay on as well.

• The system works for about two seconds – just long enough for you to get your foot to the gas pedal and start accelerating.

• The slip indicator should flash once and a buzzer should sound when the system is active. If you don’t see or hear anything, let off on the brake a little (but don’t take your foot off until you see the light and hear the buzzer).