Q: Steering full lock problem 2007 Kia Sorrento

When turn there is a slight noise this could be normal..there is no bangs or cranks.. but when on full lock there is an awful loud bang and cranking..if i repeat the turn staight after its happend it doesnt do it..but when i turn say futher on in the journey it does..it only seems to be drivers side. Im new to being a kia owner

Hi there- from your symptoms, I believe you have a problem with the steering rack. The pinion drive gear, bearings or the rack itself has become damaged. I recommend a steering inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Hi there. If by "Full Lock" you mean that the steering wheel is turned all the way to one side, it’s possible that the sound is caused by multiple components. Within the steering system on a Kia and most modern car, is a series of "stops" or bumps; that restrict how far you can turn the wheel. If you hear a crunching or popping sound when you turn this far, it’s most likely caused by the stops themselves; and no cause for concern. However, it’s also possible that tie rods, CV joints or struts are worn out and need to be replaced as well. You might want to have a car is making a noise inspection completed, so that a professional mechanic can verify the source of the noise and determine if replacement is required.