Q: High pitch squeal/ loss of power, louder squeal w/o muffler. Not the cat

asked by on July 19, 2017

I have a 1982 Trans Am. I replaced the cam shaft over the winter and after putting it back together I have been noticing an extremely high pitched squeal that seems to be coming from the rear passenger side of the motor. It does this whenever I get above 2000-2500 RPMs or if I fail to baby the throttle. I seem to have all my horsepower on the low end but once I hit 2000 RPMs she plateaus. I have checked everything I could think of, It's not the belts or pulleys for I have driven her a short distance with both belts removed, still squeals. I only have one vacuum line on it and that runs to the transmission and seems to be leak free and works fine. I have done a compression test to see if it could possibly be a head gasket leak but that all checked out. Carrying great oil pressure, does run a tad hot though although the temp gauge reads that it's fine. If you guys have any ideas that would be awesome! Thanks.

Chevy 350, Edelbrock performer EPS intake, Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM carb, TH350

Hi there. We typically focus only on OEM applications and repair tips on this website. You might want to consult with a GM performance specialist or contact the cam manufacturer to ensure you followed the correct installation and break in process or receive their advice on the squeal.