Q: Knocking sound

I have recently noticed that when I change gear I have a single knock sound coming from the back of the car

A: Hello. This is a safety mechanism that will...

Hello. This is a safety mechanism that will not allow you to shift without having your foot on the brake. This is a pin down in the console attached to the shift lever that doesn't allow the shifter to be moved without the brake being applied. This is very normal. If you feel like there are drivability concerns, or if you notice the knocking sound is becoming more severe, consider having an expert diagnose the sound in person to let you know what's going on.