Q: My '98 expedition, it drives fine for a while, then after a few hours, when sitting still, it idles rough then shuts off.

I drive a 98 Ford expedition. It drives fine for a couple hours. After that, it idles rough at stops, then shuts off. I start it back up, I give it gas it shuts off without catching gas. I restart it, without giving it gas, it idles, but still idles rough then shuts off again. I have to literally wait about an hour. Start it up, then it drives fine

A: After some testing done to verify the EGR v...

After some testing done to verify the EGR valve flow to see if the valve is intermittently sticking open causing the stall. This can be done using a scanner with the capability to open and close the EGR valve and monitor the DPFE sensor at the same time. There is a technical service bulletin 05-4-17 to replace the EGR valve if the valve sticks open. The computer system should be retested to verify the proper operation of the EGR valve and DPFE sensor. Once the EGR valve is replaced and system is verified the EGR system is working correctly without the EGR sticking open anymore then scan the computer to clear any codes. Once codes are cleared then the car should be road tested to verify repairs. If you'd like to get this fixed, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, perform the necessary tests and properly diagnose your Check Engine Light firsthand.