Q: My engine fan is not running wil it hurt to drive the car for 3 hours on a trip as long as it doesn't get hot

asked by on August 25, 2017

My car is fan is not running and I need to go on a trip or about 3 hours will it hurt my car as long as I do not let it get hot?

It sounds like you may have a faulty coolant fan relay. The coolant fan relay helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this relay is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, stay on all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. I would not recommend driving the vehicle until this is diagnosed as this may result in your vehicle overheating. would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling fans.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr