Q: Motor sounding different after overheating.

The Check Engine light came on in my car and the coolant temperature was up to the red. I bought the correct antifreeze for my car. I added it, but my car continues to overheat to the point that is steams and I have to pull over. Upon starting it up and driving it home, I noticed my motor sounded different.

A: Hi, this comes up a lot on this engine. If ...

Hi, this comes up a lot on this engine. If the coolant level has gone low without an external leaks then you more than likely have a leak in the intake manifold gasket. This would require that the top of the engine be taken apart and the gasket replaced. I typically perform a cooling system pressure test to verify that it is leaking there. Coolant entering the engine through the intake manifold will definitely also cause the engine to sound different and can cause some rough running and even steam from the exhaust. Having this repaired as soon as possible will ensure that you do not have a more serious engine failure from this. I would get the help of a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, that can do a pressure test and make sure that no other damage has occurred.