Q: Brakes squeal very loudly

The brakes in my vehicle were replaced. Two months after that, they started to infrequently squeal. Since it was infrequent, I tolerated it. But three months after that, the sound did become unbearable. I took it to the dealership and they said that the brakes needed cleaning. A week after they were cleaned, the squealing returned. Four more times I took my car to the dealer. The squeaking did not go away. The last time I went they told me that the pads and rotors had been replaced on all four brakes. I go again next week for an appointment and I’ll be talking to the manager of the repair department. Please tell me specifically what I should ask him.

A: Hello. When the brakes are done on this veh...

Hello. When the brakes are done on this vehicle, the brake pads and rotors must be replaced together. If they replaced both, then they either did not install them properly or they used defective parts. It is also important that the brake components be properly lubricated to ensure that everything moves freely, otherwise the brakes will get too hot. Heat is what causes this noise to occur. They also should have advised you of a break in period, which means that you need to take it easy on the brakes for the first 500 miles to prevent glazing. Being that the brakes were recently done, you should take it back to the dealer and they should replace them again at no charge.