Q: Problems shifting into gears

My Tahoe will not shift into first gear. It also will not upshift from second to third gear. I have to stop the engine to get it to go into forward or reverse.

Greetings. Tahoes for that year commonly encounter this issue due to shifter cables becoming faulty overtime. The cables will usually unravel and lose its ability to move the shift lever on the transmission properly. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the shifting problem your car faces and replace any failing parts.