Q: Sputtering issue with car

My mechanic has changed several parts like the spark plugs, fuel filter, airflow sensor, and it still sputters. When the Check Engine light flashed on, it said P301. What does that mean and what is causing this problem?

Code P0301 stands for cylinder #1 misfire. There are numerous potential causes for this code and your symptoms. If that is the only code stored, you’ll want to focus on items specific to the #1 cylinder, such as the fuel injector, coil pack and spark plug.

The fuel filter and mass airflow sensor would be more likely to affect all cylinders. I suggest you take your vehicle to a different mechanic for proper diagnosis of the Check Engine Light. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.

3. Sputtering issue with car