Q: Hello. I just had my battery replaced but today all lights go on but car won't start

asked by on September 02, 2017

I had my battery replaced the other day. Car started up but wont stay started and now it wont even start

Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr