Q: Rumbling while applying the brakes - 2007 Hyundai Entourage

When I'm driving downhill and apply the brakes, there is this rumbling noise. It goes away when I let go off the pedal. I've been to the dealership, but they claim that everything is working fine. I've never experienced anything similar. So, is this normal?

A: Hello. If there is a rumbling noise when yo...

Hello. If there is a rumbling noise when you apply the brakes, there is certainly a problem with the brakes. From my experience, it is most likely a problem with the rotors or rear drums. It could be that there is enough rust build up on the braking surface to make a sound when the brakes are applied that sounds like a rumble. In fact, on my own personal car I have a rear drum that is warped and when the brakes are applied firmly it makes a rumble type noise similar to rumble strips. If you would like to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the brake system and assist with appropriate repairs.