Q: Rumbling while applying the brakes - 2007 Hyundai Entourage

When I'm driving downhill and apply the brakes, there is this rumbling noise. It goes away when I let go off the pedal. I've been to the dealership, but they claim that everything is working fine. I've never experienced anything similar. So, is this normal?

Hello. If there is a rumbling noise when you apply the brakes, there is certainly a problem with the brakes. From my experience, it is most likely a problem with the rotors or rear drums. It could be that there is enough rust build up on the braking surface to make a sound when the brakes are applied that sounds like a rumble. In fact, on my own personal car I have a rear drum that is warped and when the brakes are applied firmly it makes a rumble type noise similar to rumble strips. If you would like to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the brake system and assist with appropriate repairs.

3. Rumbling while applying the brakes - 2007 Hyundai Entourage