Q: Engine doesn't start but lights power on - 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

I’m having trouble with my car starting. I’ve replaced some parts like the starter, alternator and the battery. When I turn the key I have lights, but the engine won’t turn over. I need to unplug the battery and plug it back in to restore the power when I don’t get any. Could the problem be the starter solenoid or something electrical? Do you have any ideas?

A: You're thinking in the rigt direction! ...

You're thinking in the rigt direction! Something in the electrical power path to the starter motor is malfunctioning: starter solenoid or starter motor itself, ignition switch, or wiring to either of these components. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can isolate the problem component, and replace the failing electrical component.