Q: Engine doesn't start but lights power on - 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

I’m having trouble with my car starting. I’ve replaced some parts like the starter, alternator and the battery. When I turn the key I have lights, but the engine won’t turn over. I need to unplug the battery and plug it back in to restore the power when I don’t get any. Could the problem be the starter solenoid or something electrical? Do you have any ideas?

You’re thinking in the rigt direction! Something in the electrical power path to the starter motor is malfunctioning: starter solenoid or starter motor itself, ignition switch, or wiring to either of these components. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can isolate the problem component, and replace the failing electrical component.

3. Engine doesn't start but lights power on - 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria