Hello Steven I have a 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I was on...

Q: Hello Steven I have a 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I was on highway and car was driving fine until I stopped to pay a toll. After

asked by on June 05, 2017

Hello Steven I have a 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I was on highway and car was driving fine until I stopped to pay a toll. After the toll I pulled off the car accelerated to highway speed about 2 miles later the car began to shudder and I felt a vibration like the car had a flat but it was only doing that while my foot was on the accelerator. The car began to slow down at which point several lights came on but I was able to get the car off the highway to a gas station under battery power. Once I shut the car off, the ready green light would blink but then shut off. The system would not start. I was wondering if you have encountered this problem before? What repairs were made and if this is part of the CVT recall issues I have been reading about? The Hybrid malfunction light, TPMS light, ABS, VDC, and eCVT (P) light were on. The car is at the dealership now but no one is calling me back with a diagnosis and it's been 4 days now.

Hi there. What you are describing is common with a CVT malfunction. This unique to Nissan transmission has experienced some hit and miss issues as you’ve described and can cause the type of warning lights and symptoms you’ve described. However, it is also possible that the CVT recall problem is not the root source of the other error lights. Specifically, the TPMS and ABS warning lights could be caused by an actual sensor failure; which may have triggered the CVT problem in the first place. As difficult as it is to wait without knowing facts, the best advice we can offer is to wait for the dealership to contact you about their diagnosis. Hopefully the factory recall is the source of your other issues and the repairs will resolve this problem.