Q: What does it mean if you power steering light comes on and I can turn or drive right for a few seconds then goes off?

asked by on March 18, 2017

I was driving my car and all of the sudden the power steering light flashes on. Once that happened my car drove strange. I had issue with turning the wheel.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The power steering system needs to be inspected. Even if the light turns off, the issue may reoccur soon. The system is electronic as opposed to the standard hydraulic system used in older and other models. There may be a sensor issue, an issue with the motor, or an issue with the linkage. The system is highly monitored by the computer, and any issues will typically be detected quickly. A scan for diagnostic codes will be the quickest way to find out what the computer has detected. For more help scanning the vehicle or taking corrective action, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.