Q: Click no start

asked by on June 27, 2017

Car shut off while driving. Now won't start. Just 1 click when turning ignition. Battery and alternator are fine.

If you were driving and your engine stopped abruptly then you may have broke a timing chain and engine seized. You will need to first try and jump start the engine to see if it will turn? If you just hear a clunk from the starter and engine will not turn then you will need to see if the engine will turn by hand with a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt. If it turns in one direction but not the other then you have broken the timing chain and may need a complete motor. I would recommend having a mechanic check it for you to confirm my diagnosis.