Q: I have a 2006 Jeep Commander and I just realized something leaking on my passenger side floor board and my car runs hot.

asked by on September 05, 2017

My vehicle is running hot after 10 minutes of driving. I have something leaking on the passenger side that has a sweet and oily smell. It has saturated my carpet. Could this be my heater core or coil? I have changed my radiator, thermostat, hoses and checked the fan relay switch. All works but the car is still running hot.???

Hi Donna. Thanks for contacting us today. What you are describing is typically caused by a heater core that is damaged or a supply line that has ruptured or has a progressive leak. Either way, this would be a source of engine overheating, as the coolant flows through the heater core before returning to the radiator to be cooled. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete an overheating inspection to verify exactly what is damaged and what needs to be repaired. I would strongly recommend not driving the vehicle again till this has been fixed.