Q: The service 4 wheel drive light comes on in my 05 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD

The service 4 wheel drive indicator keeps coming on and going off again. It appears to only pop up after using the four wheel drive. It disappears again once I turn off the engine and turn it back on. Very rarely does it come on when I'm driving in 2 wheel drive. I've taken the truck to several mechanics to scan for codes but they can't seem to duplicate that error message. my question is is there a common issue with this Vehicles 4 wheel drive that I might address and could this intermittent warning cause any damages to my vehicle or it's drivability? I have had one mechanic tell me that it's likely the encoder motor sensor but he didn't feel comfortable confirming that as he's not very familiar with Chevy 4-wheel drive repairs.

It is not likely that damage will occur or is occurring. Generally, it’s only if the check engine light is actually flashing that you can reasonably expect damage. As far as whether what you are describing is a "known issue" or not, there are many GM Technical Service Bulletins for your year, make and model that refer to the Service 4WD indicator. A brief list of these TSB’s appears below. If you desire that a certified Mechanic inspect your vehicle and determine if any of the below TSB’s are applicable or, if not applicable, simply pinpoint the problem, please request a warning light diagnostic.

GM Manufacturer Communication Number: 05-04-21-003 (TSB) SERVICE 4WD LIGHT ILLUMINATED, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) C0374 SET. INSPECT WIRING HARNESS TO TRANSFER CASE SPEED SENSORS, REPLACE WIRING HARNESS.

GM Manufacturer Communication Number: 3137 SERVICE 4WD LIGHT ON AND NO COMMUNICATION WITH TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE.

GM Manufacturer Communication Number: 3134B SERVICE 4WD INDICATOR ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CO327.

GM Manufacturer Communication Number: 3352 SERVICE 4WD LIGHT ON WITH EITHER A VARIETY OF DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES OR NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE.

GM Manufacturer Communication Number: 3526 INTERMITTENT SERVICE 4WD LIGHT COMES ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) C0306 OR C0308 STORED IN TCCM.

3. The service 4 wheel drive light comes on in my 05 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD