Q: Check engine light on

asked by on October 13, 2016

So my check engine light came on Wednesday morning when I was leaving work and I hade it checked to see with the issue is and I was given the code P0303. I was told that cylinder 3 misfired and that it something to do with my spark plug or spark plug wire. So my question is how long can I drive my car until I can get it fixed? I was going to get it fixed on Friday or Saturday. So will my car stop on me or stop starting until a couple more days? What is a general price of how much to get that replace? How long does it usually take?

There area number of things that can cause a misfire such as low fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, faulty spark plugs or wires, a bad crankshaft position sensor, bad camshaft position sensor, faulty fuel injectors and many others.

The most efficient way to approach a misfire is to first check for intake leaks causing a vacuum problem which I the most common. The next step is to replace spark plugs which are also a common culprit of triggering this code. Your car may be ok to drive for a couple of days like this, however be reminded that the problem may get worse and the car will drive very poorly.

I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to you home to diagnose your misfire issue. Regular tune-ups and maintenance will also often times avoid these types of problems as well.