Q: My 2009 Equinox is overheating intermittently. It overheated in the summer and tnen not again for 3 months then twice in one week

My 2009 Equinox is overheating intermittently. It overheated in the summer and then not again for 3 months then twice in one week. The engine looses power, warning lights and codes come on and a bell starts ringing. The bell continues to ring even after the engine is turned off and the key pulled out. At first the with the heater turned to full heat and fan I got very hot air. Now I get just warm air even though the temperature gauge shows very high temperature. Please help.Thank you 2009 Equinox

Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Check the coolant level to be sure it is adequate. Of course, if the coolant level is low enough to cause overheating, you may have a coolant leak. If the overheating is intermittent that would point to a possibly sticking thermostat, malfunctioning controls for the cooling fans, or the fans themselves, and possibly an engine operating condition such as an excessively lean air fuel ratio. Other common causes of overheating include low coolant level, a plugged radiator, collapsed hoses, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.