Q: Loss of power, drive. 2010 Ford F150

I have a 2010 F-150 4x4 with 155k on it. I had a issue 3 days ago with the 4 WD (Got the wrench light) but it went away, then this morning I was letting it warm up and it was making a very loud whining sound from the front passengers side. I jumped in and tried to back out of the garage and it did not move in reverse, drive, 1-2-3 etc. I shut it down for 1 minute, started back up and it went into gear and started driving. About a half mile later the whining came back and I lost forward Drive. The RPM's would rev, but wouldnt move. The wrench light came back on the dash, so i shut it down, waited a minute, and started back up. I was able to get home, barely, but now I am lost as to what the issue is.

Hello - check first for the correct fluid level (and condition - red and relatively clear) of transmission fluid. If fluid level and condition are proper, the problem is likely with the internals of the transmission: fluid pressure and valve body problems affecting the clutches, or a failure of the planetary gearset. There is a Ford Technical Service Service Bulletin (# 384974) regarding failure of the planetary gearset. I would recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.