Q: Why wont the fan start? Smoking near fan, cooling fan new but wont start. engine overheats.

Why wont the fan start? Wheres the fan switch located?

Hey there. As you alluded, this is a sign of a bad cooling fan relay switch. The cooling fan relay switch comes on when the temperature reaches a certain level to help cool down the radiator. When this is faulty, this will cause the fans to work intermittently or sometimes not at all. This will also obviously cause the car to overheat as well. This part should be located behind the passenger side headlight in a black box with several wires going to a single connector. If you would like to have this taken care of for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the overheating problem and perform any needed repairs.

3. Why wont the fan start? Smoking near fan, cooling fan new but wont start. engine overheats.