Q: Q: What size tire chains should I use?

What size tire chains should I use?

Driving in winter conditions in an area with the potential for snowfall means carrying tire chains with you in case of an emergency. However, you need to use the right type of chains for your tire size. Your automaker mandates that you use chains that meet the following size requirements:

• The side chain should be 0.12 inches in diameter, 0.39 inches wide and 1.18 long.

• The cross chain should be 0.16 inches in diameter, 0.55 inches wide and 0.98 inches long.

Tips

• Only use tire chains for as long as necessary. Remove them as soon as possible.

• Never drive with tire chains equipped on dry pavement.

• Tighten the chains again after driving a half mile.

• Only install tire chains on the front tires.

• Don’t drive faster than 30 MPH with chains installed.

• Drive with caution and avoid sudden stops.

3. Q: What size tire chains should I use?