Q: ABS light comes on sporadically and the right rear suspension shock absorber is leaking.

asked by on November 12, 2016

Dear mechanic, I need some help with the following problem: the ABS light comes on sporadically, car feels a bit different when it's on. Like there is a tiny brake on. But it's really random and when the ABS light is off, car acts normal. Any ideas on what might be wrong and how much it would cost to fix it? Also, I just got a WOF and the right rear suspension shock absorber is leaking and should probably be replaced. Any ideas on how much that would cost? The car is a Nissan Cefiro, twin turbo from 1999. Just bought it two months ago so I don't know much about car's history. Thanks so much and look forward to hearing from you. Cheers Lonneke

Hello. Best first step would be to get an ABS scanner hooked up and extract the problem codes from the ABS system. This may be as simple as a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor. In N. America, this model (badged as the Nissan Maxima and Infinity I30) had several technical service bulletins relating to ABS problem codes, and "light brake drag moving away from a dead stop". Not sure if this is similar to the "like there is a tiny brake on", but it is something to check out with your local service center. I would recommend having a shock absorber replacement service completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and replace your broken shock. Best of luck with your new ride!