Q: Paint chipping off all over the hood and bumpers

I have lost a lot of paint from my 2008 Chevrolet Impala in the 65,000 miles that I have driven it. I am not happy with that at all! All those chips and dings make this car look way older than it is. I'm sure the value has taken a hit. What will prevent the car from getting more chips taken out of the paint? I am desperate at this point!

The paint on your car is a multiple layer paint process that starts with bare metal cleaning and prep then a primer coat. The primer coat is suppose to stick well to bare metal and also allow the color coat to stick good to it. After the primer, a color coat is applied, then a clear coat is applied to protect the color coat. The clear coat will wear down over time exposing the color coat in areas most prone to wear such as the front of hood or top of hood and above windshield. Once the clear coat is gone then the rain, dirt and other harsh things the environment dishes out, damages the color coat and gets under the remaining clear coat, causing it to separate from the color coat in the form of chips and fading or discolorations. The only fix is to have a paint shop repair the areas and repaint as needed.