Q: Brake piston compressed rather than turning

Hello, what will happen to the rear left brake piston if it was compressed rather than turning for pad replacement. It was compressed for several times until the person trying to replace the pad figures out that it needs to be turned so the piston can go in for pad replacement. The left piston was difficult to turn after compressing but we noticed the right piston is easy to turn because the right piston was not compressed.

Is there an immediate damage to the braking system and does it develops to a future issues? Thank you.

The rear calipers on this vehicle incorporate the parking brake system. The parking brake system uses a rotating screw inside the caliper that will push the caliper piston out when parking brake lever is rotated on the caliper. When the caliper piston is pushed back in it is required to screw the piston in while pushing it back. If there was excessive force put on the piston trying to push it back without twisting the caliper piston or parking brake mechanism inside the caliper may be damaged. As long as the caliper does not bind when brake pads are installed and pressure is put on the caliper piston and brakes work normal then you should not have any problems with calipers. If any binding of the rotor is felt when brake pedal is released then replace calipers since they may have been damaged during attempts to push them back without turning the piston.

3. Brake piston compressed rather than turning