Q: Alex Betancourt, a year ago you said the problem was inside my engine's computer, which was under warranty. Did you check the key?

asked by on May 15, 2017

Alex Betancourt, a year ago you said the problem was inside my engine's computer, which was under warranty, so I took it back to the dealership. They said they have no idea what's wrong and recommended selling the car for scrap. Did you check the key itself?

Apparently if the car is fine and the key isn't coded correctly to the engine's computer, the car won't start. This problem started while I was driving, so it may not be the key... but since no one can tell me exactly what the problem is, it could still be the key!!

Hi there. I have forwarded your inquiry to our sales and service department, so they can look up your individual appointment and access the mechanics remarks and inspections completed. However, if you had an issue where the car shut off while driving and does not currently start today, it is rather unlikely that the problem is an incorrectly coded key. A key will fall out of programming typically if there is an electrical short in the ignition system, a battery was replaced and the battery terminals were connected wrong or the key’s battery is dead. Again, I will have our CS department contact you to determine if the key was checked during this inspection.