Q: My 2001 vw beetle won't go over 20 mph and not shifting.

asked by on December 26, 2016

My 2001 Vw beetle doesn't go over 20 mph. It starts just fine and the rpms go up but it just doesn't shift. It is an automatic and I noticed it wasn't shifting smoothly about a month after buying it. Has to be a transmission issue but I don't know what kind.

My car has 109880 miles and has an automatic transmission.

Hi there. The computer has put the engine into limp mode for a fault that the sensors have picked up. Since the transmission is not shifting, first check the transmission oil level and make sure that its full and red in color. Then, take the vehicle for a road test and try shifting the transmission manually. If the transmission is able to shift manually, then the transmission position sensor has failed and needs replaced. If the transmission is not able to shift manually, then the power to the transmission is cut out. Check the fuse box and check for any blown fuses. If there is no blown fuses, then the computer has shut the power off to the transmission. There could be a shift solenoid or pump pressure solenoid that could have failed making the transmission not function properly. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission.