Q: I lost my key and remote - can I program a new key myself?

I lost my keys and I had a locksmith cut me a new one. Can I buy a fob/remote online and program myself rather than pay an extra $250 on top of the $300 I already paid? Subaru Impreza 2007.

Hello - unfortunately no. Modern electronic-key security systems differ from one manufacturer to the next, and each has specialized equipment for programming and setting options on remotes and electronic keys. This equipment is also not usually available to non-dealer service centers as well, for a variety of reasons. This is one case where you have to go to the dealer. Be prepared to provide documentation of ownership (title, current registration, etc.) - this is for your benefit, to prevent someone else from getting a key made for your vehicle.

3. I lost my key and remote - can I program a new key myself?