Oil additive issue grand cherokee 2011 v6-3.6l jeep

Q: Oil additive issue

asked by on July 06, 2017

I added 3X Concentrated Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment from Rislone by accident to my oil after a oil change. I was supposed to add their Engine Treatment Concentrate for a ticking lifter I have. I reached out to Rislone and they told me I need to drain the oil as that supplement is meant for older engines.

Hi there. When it comes to engine oil additives, I ALWAYS follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. In this case, Rislone would be correct. Zinc additives or ZDDP is essentially tiny particles of metal that infuse onto engine parts, specifically pistons, piston rings, and valve guides that progressively wear out over time. This "fills the gap" of damaged metallic parts to increase compression and reduce loss of power and efficiency. This particular additive is designed for older style engines that are made with larger clearances, like engines built before 2000 for example. By keeping this additive in your engine, you risk excessive zinc levels building up on these internal engine parts, that can lead to premature wear and tear - or essentially acting as sandpaper for the inside of your engine. It’s better to be safe and change the engine oil and filter than be sorry in this case.