Q: Engine won’t start sometimes, problem goes away later

I'm randomly unable to get my 2008 Jeep Wrangler to start or turn over and it is very inconvenient. I will try and try and then nothing will happen. Then I wait a while and it will work. I even had the thing towed once and by the time we got there, it started right up. This is such a frustrating problem to have! The truck has 90,000 miles on it. What can I do about this?

A: Jeep released a Technical Service Bulletin ...

Jeep released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that covers this no crank or no start problem. The TSB 08-007-08 dated 7/04/2008 states that the wireless control module (WCM) is susceptible to locking the ignition after getting a static charge from inserting the key. The WCM interprets the charge as the wrong code and temporarily disables the ignition.

The only fix for this problem is to replace the WCM and program it to work with your vehicle. Because this is a TSB and not a recall, the repair is only covered if the vehicle is still under a warranty policy.

For vehicles out of warranty, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can replace your WCM and make sure it is properly programed for your vehicle.