Q: Sometimes my car runs loud from the front of the engine

Runs loud sometimes from the front of engine ,performs poorly. Sounds like exhaust leak when accelerating hard to pick up speed. Other times when no noise is heard run great, pick up speed as always

A: From what you describe it would appear that...

From what you describe it would appear that an exhaust leak may be affecting your engine's performance. If the leak appears to come and go, then the first thing I would do is look at the vehicle's EGR valve and tubing. The EGR system, short for exhaust gas recirculation, is an emissions system that is designed to reroute exhaust gases back into the engine in order to lower emissions levels and cylinder temperatures.

When the system is operating, exhaust gases are routed into the engine. If there are any leaks in the system, perhaps through rusted or damaged EGR tubes or a sticking EGR valve, then the symptoms you are experiencing may be produced. If the Check Engine Light is on I would also retrieve the trouble codes as they will likely shed some light on what the issue may be. If you need assistance, a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can help you determine the cause of your vehicle's slow acceleration.