Q: Starter drive flywheel noise

asked by on September 22, 2016

I just replaced my starter in my truck. When I tried starting it and cranked the key there was a loud grinding noise between the starter drive and the flywheel. I have installed 2 starters. One was rebuilt and the other one was brand new. After each time I replaced them the starter quit working. The last time I moved the crankshaft and turned the key it started! Are there different starters for this model of truck? Or are there different starters with different tail housing? What do you think?

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. It’s possible that the teeth on the flywheel (manual transmission) or flexplate (automatic transmission) are worn or banged up sufficiently that the starter drive on the starter won’t engage properly. Moving the crankshaft as you mention may realign the teeth to a more favorable location, which is not guaranteed each time the engine is shut off. If you need to have this checked, I recommend having a certified technician inspect the starting system so that this gets corrected appropriately.