Q: B2278 code for 2008 Ford Escape

Ford escape 2008 v6 3L AWD I noticed a stiff steering and loss of all power steering at all speeds. Checked codes Found B2278 Should i change only the torque sensor ( part around 200$ and DIY) or instal a used assembly column ( 250 part and use mechanic to do it) I searched the problem and i am afraid that if i changed only the torque sensor, I might find the problem is not only with the sensor. Also, i am not sure with the reliability of a used assembly column, especially it is a safety issue.

Hello - You are correct that the torque sensor, or rather a bad torque sensor signal, is the cause of this problem. There is, however, a Ford Recall (Recall 14V284000) for this problem, so you don’t have to do anything except take your vehicle to your Ford dealer to schedule this warranty repair.