Q: Water is leaking into the front cabin

asked by on October 18, 2016

I have a real issue with water- leaking into the front cabin. How can I divert the rain from coming into the car and how to get rid of mold smells?

Thanks, Crystal

Clear fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The procedure for keeping the water from getting into the cabin will depend greatly on figuring out where the water is coming in. It could come in at the sunroof, door seals, windshield seal, window seal, or any place else that there is an opening to the outside, and uses some type of seal or gasket to keep the water out.

Until you know where it’s coming in, it would be impossible to offer a repair. As far as the mold smell, there are several types of mold and mildew neutralizers available from auto parts stores or possibly from the dealer. In severe situations, it may require you to replace any carpet, or interior, that has been exposed to moisture for any period of time. If you need to have the leak scoped out, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the water leak and proceed with repair.