Q: What is difference between ticking and knocking?

I traded my 81 Camaro for an 83 Iroc Z28. I traded bc it looked like a way better deal. My question is this... The engine is a chromed out 355V8 700R4 with stage3 shift kit, close to 380HP. To me, It sounded like there is knocking but previous owner said its not knocking and is ticking from the Holly 650 carb because its spitting out fuel and it need regulated?. I really do not know about cars but I thought I kind of knew about knocking when the engine was going bad. To me that is what it sounds like. Did I get taken?

look at car here... http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5848582235.html

A: Hey there. The engine knocking is caused by...

Hey there. The engine knocking is caused by colliding flame fronts in the combustion chamber. Knocking does not stem from any mechanical fault but rather is caused by cylinder carbon deposits, low octane fuel, incorrect spark plugs, wrong engine timing and so forth. Mechanical "knocking" and ticking though have a wide range of causes usually attributable to valve train problems and of course defects in main and rod bearings. Carburetors do not cause "mechanical" engine noise. If you are evaluating the car engine, your best bet is to drive the car to a shop that specializes in the rebuilding of engines because they should be able to pinpoint the source of the noise for you based on it’s intensity, frequency, and "apparent" location.