Q: Car turns over but won't start

My car turns over but doesn't start.

There are a few reasons why your Ford Escort will turn over but not start. Since you are hearing the engine turning over, then we can assume that the battery and starter are doing their jobs. My next hunch would be to check the engine for spark and fuel. A bad fuel pump or worn out ignition components, such as the distributor, can also prevent the vehicle from starting.

Considering the age of the Ford Escort, the next thing I would investigate would be the condition of the timing belt. The timing belt can sometimes be overlooked when it comes to regular vehicle maintenance since it is hidden behind a cover. If this belt broke, then the starter would only allow half the engine to turn over, this means the valves cannot move and your Escort would be experiencing the symptoms it is now.

Whether it is a spark/fuel issue or a timing belt failure, it is best to enlist the assistance of certified mechanic to make sure they can properly diagnose why your car is not starting.