Q: Rotational thumping/noise from front left wheel

asked by on June 23, 2016

OK so I have had this thumping for awhile, I took the car to the shop and they told me that the wheel was sticking, they suggested I change the caliper and hose, which I have, I also replaced the rotor and wheel bearings on both sides, after all this the thumping is still there, when I apply the brakes the car kinda shakes and as I come to a stop it feels like warped rotors but there brand new rotors, this is a rotational thumping, when the car is suspended in the air and you spin the wheel it spins three quarters of the way be fore it catches and you have to apply forces to make it spin again, passenger side wheel spins just fine, I have tried everything. Thank you for your time

Hello. You should try to remove the caliper or retract it and then see if you still have wheel binding. If it is binding with the brakes removed, then you have a wheel bearing or hub problem. If the problem does not go away when the brake caliper is removed then you have a warped rotor or bent hub. I have seen new rotors come out of the box warped. When this happens, you think you are fixing a problem when you end up creating one – frustrating! If you want a professional to help, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the noise and replace the bearings if necessary.