Q: What does it mean if the smart key warning light comes on?

What does it mean if the smart key warning light comes on?

If your car has a smart key system, then it’s equipped with a warning light and buzzer that help in certain situations when the electronic key might be missing or out of range. There are several light/buzzer combinations that might happen. Here’s what you should know:

• Buzzer sounds once/Light on for eight seconds: Check the electronic key’s location. This alert means the key isn’t present.

• Buzzer sounds once inside, three times outside and then comes on: This means that a door has been opened and closed with the ignition switch on, and that the electronic key has been removed.

• Interior buzzer sounds once and the exterior buzzer sounds three times/Light on: Turn the ignition switch to off and check the location of the key.

• Interior and exterior buzzers sound continually/Light on: This means that the driver door has been opened and the transmission is not in park. Shift to park and locate the key.

3. What does it mean if the smart key warning light comes on?