Q: Car suffering a loss in power

I believe my problem stems from my timing chain. When the car is running, it suffers from a loss of power. It also makes noises that are in time with a pulley wheel coming from the engine. The car has 240,000 miles and this is the first major problem.

If the issue seems to be in time with the crank pulley, then it may be a timing issue. This engine tends to have a history of misfire issues, typically from bad coils. I typically start by scanning the computer for codes. If there are codes it will give me a starting point. If not, then I use my scan tool to monitor ignition timing to see if the timing chain may be worn out. If I do not find anything at that point, then I would check the fuel pressure and the catalytic converter as they can cause the engine to act like this if there are problems with either of those. If you were not going to do this work yourself, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s loss of power and make any needed repairs.